logo

Our Vision

Gain meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by creation of a usable, multipurpose small boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats.

Minutes

Minutes of General Meeting - February 7, 2017

Minutes of General Meeting - February 7, 2017

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small boat centerto enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual members present: Board Members-Beth Bell, Andy Stewart, Scott Lindberg, Bruce Brereton and 8 members at large in attendance

I. Call to Order- Meeting was called to order at 6:30 by Beth

II. Introduction of new members and guests – All existing members present with HS sailor guests

III. Minutes of last Meeting- January minutes were read and approved .

IV. Treasurers Report Bank Statement reconciled and $33791.42 balance. Treasurers report approved.

V. Old Business – 501c3 status reinstated as of 1/19/2017. We have the ability to receive payments via credit card with the new accounting software. WW Potter has been signed over to ASBC with all appropriate paperwork.

Discussed HS sailing with guests and having ASBC help coordinate the fundraising efforts for the city sailing coordinator. This would be in the $35 to 50K range. This is going to be our primary focus for the near future. We discussed setting up a separate area for donations to this position for the parks.

VI. New Business – Mess About is May 20th- discussed getting the word out locally. Details on volunteers and marketing were discussed with a poster and lift training. Steve Orsini has applied for a NMTA grant of $2500.

Discussed a vision planning day to bring different boating groups together and brainstorm on October 14. Proposed to devote 4 hours for ASBC board and 4 hours for other groups.

VI. Adjournment Meeting was adjourned at 8:10

Minutes of General Meeting - April 4, 2017

Minutes of General Meeting - April 4, 2017

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small boat centerto enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Meeting called to order at 6:30 pm.

In attendance were Beth, Bruce, Pat, Keith, Pat, John, Mark and Annette (Marks guest)

No minutes have been received from the March meeting yet from Scott.

The Treasurer reported on the status of the finances and mentioned that the 5013c status is good through October.  There is $41,167 in the account with $12,600 allocated to Parks and Rec, leaving $28,568.  Income and expenses by item were detailed on the spreadsheet.

Yard Update – Random boats appear at times and have to be identified and contacted.  There are about 5-6 open spots and need for expansion may occur in the next year. A bill will be sent to Kevin for Youth Dynamics. 

Youth / Community Boating Program –Mark handed out a description of the program and a list of donations totaling $27,500 pledged and $12,600 collected.  There was discussion about the Adult program and that it should be added later after the youth version.  There has been no formal written approval of the program by the city, but one will be requested by Beth.  The Sailing Director position is targeted to be hired and start by June 1st.

Communications – A “Donate” tab was added to the website.  Beth needs a lesson on Google Docs.

Messabout – A draft of the poster and hand bills was circulated by Beth to the group.  Sponsor logos were replaced by a listing to save space and streamline the appearance.

Mark asked how many are needed and it was decided he would review last years count.  These should be distributed by the end of April, since the event is May 20th.  Keith mentioned several organizations outside Anacortes that will help promote the event.

Quick N Dirty Boat Building is on June 3rd and Mary is working on Non-Profits.  Pat will talk to her in the next week.

Beth noted the need for a permanent Secretary for ASBC (open position).

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 pm.

Minutes of General Meeting, November 1, 2016

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center Board Meeting, Tuesday, November 1, 2013, Anacortes Yacht Club

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual members present: Board Members-Beth Bell, Andy Stewart, Scott Lindberg, Don Pinter, Kevin Pratt, and 11 members at large in attendance

I. Call to Order- Meeting was called to order at 6:30 by Beth

II. Introduction of new members and guests – All existing members present

III. Minutes of last Meeting- minutes were approved with the addition of elections being held in December.

IV. Treasurers Report Bank Statement reconciled and $31,877.40 balance. Discussed checks written and income. 

V. Old Business – Yard update from Kevin and the yard is fairly full may have a few spots available. Discussed the break-in and stolen boats. Approved up to $250 for fence repair. Discussed options for security with lighting or camera. All of the Hobies and trailers are now sold. Thanks Bruce

VI. New Business – We are making a priority to work with the city and others to help create a position for a person being hired to facilitate and instruct and run the existing small boat program. Steve Orsini created a job description and will review with the city. Board job descriptions were shared and discussed for upcoming elections at the December meeting. It was approved for a trial of Quickbooks in the Cloud. Bruce B will work with everyone to secure that program. This will facilitate invoicing for the yard and email notices for meetings and biling. We will be voting on new board members next month and everyone was asked to help with finding nominees or volunteering themselves.

VI. Adjournment Meeting was adjourned at 8:45

Minutes of Board Meeting, Apr 1, 2013

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center Board Meeting, Monday, April 1, 2013, Anacortes Yacht Club

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Andy Stewart (vice-president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), John Pope (past president), Vince Sellen (AYC), Beth Bell (OARSS), Marianne Banks (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio

Voting Board Members Absent: Norm Havercroft (treasurer), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81), ACMC, Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78)

Ex-Officio Board Members Absent: Dale Fowler and Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio), Jack Richardson (Anacortes RC Sailors, ex-officio)

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by President Pat Barrett at 7:50 p.m.

II. Slate of Officers

Names were put forward to fill the posts of President (Beth Bell), Vice-President (Andy Stewart), Secretary (tbd), and Treasurer (Norm Havercroft). Beth would take over as of June 3 but will not preside at the June meeting because of a personal conflict.

III. Meeting with the Port of Anacortes

ASBC proposes two separate meetings with the Port Commissioners: one to renegotiate the Yard lease agreement to reflect the fact that we have not yet had 12 months of a fully operational boat hoist, and the other to lay out our plans for the future.

IV. Plans to Move Forward With a Building

Mark Bunzel and Beth Bell will check with Gary Robinson about the Rotary Park site. We need to decide how much of a building we need and our goals for the building. The Yard provides a modest income, but not enough for something ambitious.

V. Small Power Boats

Up until now, ASBC’s main priority has been non-motorized boats. Is it time to expand our umbrella? If we include powerboats, do we impose size limits? Chase boats could come into the Yard under provisional usage. Insurance is covered under the Port’s policy. How best to reach out to this community to see if they would be interested in joining us?

Motion: ASBC will include a provisional clause in our Yard rental agreement to allow boats whose primary source of power is an engine, at the discretion of the Yard committee while a policy is being developed for Board approval. Moved by John Pope, 2nd Andy Stewart, all in favor.

VI. Kayaks on Dinghy Dock

The Port currently charges $35 on its dock; AYC charges $20 for members. We have an 8-kayak rack but will need help assembling it and getting carpeting onto the dock. John Pope suggested an introductory fee of $15/mo for members of the Hole in the Wall Paddling Club, preferably with a commitment for the season rather than month by month to make bookkeeping easier.

Marianne Banks will send out a news flash to get members’ reaction and include a notice in the June 21 newsletter. She mentioned that club members are quite mobile and might not use the rack. There are other potential users—recreational kayakers who do not get into the water much and might like to have their boats easily accessible on the dock. These potential users could be reached through ads in The Clamdigger.

VII. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm

Minutes of General Meeting, Apr 1, 2013

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, April 1, 2013, Anacortes Yacht Club, 6:30 pm

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Andy Stewart (vice-president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), John Pope (past president), Vince Sellen (AYC), Beth Bell (OARSS), Marianne Banks (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Phyllis Bravinder, Don Pinter, Andy Schwenk, Bill Short

Guests Present: Chris Anderson (Sea Scouts)

Board Members Absent: Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), ACMC, Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio), Jack Richardson (Anacortes RC Sailors, ex-officio), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81)

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by President Pat Barrett at 6:34 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes from March Meeting

Moved, Beth Bell; 2nd, Don Pinter. All in favor.

III. Treasurer’s Report

We have about $4,506 in the bank. Our gross income is $9,632, of that $8,148 is from the boat yard. Our profit is $6,152.

IV Old Business

a) Gin Pole

Thanks to Keith Rubin, Andy Schwenk, and John Pope, this is now installed and ready to go for the Tulip Regetta April 6-7. With any luck it will be treated with respect and will stay where it is.

b) Boat Storage Yard

There are a couple of new tenants. A couple of tenants have paid for the whole year. A couple are a bit behind.

c) Dinghy Dock

April is the first month of ASBC’s lease with the Port of Anacortes. The AYC section of the dock will be moved into place when the Port’s tug returns from repairs. Long-term plans for the North Basin include changing the orientation of the docks, although the small boat area will remain as is. The AYC section of the dock will be outboard as far as possible to accommodate small sailboats for AYC members. ASBC’s portion will be split between AYC and the existing Port dinghy dock, and the other side of the dinghy dock in shallower water. ASBC will accommodate dinghies and will have a rack for kayaks. Blaine has an interesting system of racks for dinghies out of season that might be a revenue-generator for us. ASBC will need a work party to help set up their section of the dock. The dock is narrow, so once it is in place, we will need to consider how best to store boats on it. The Yard Committee will work on dock rates.

d) New Slate of Officers

A new slate of officers is needed in the next couple of months. A list will be drawn up at the Board meeting immediately following this general meeting.

e) Port and City Council Joint Meeting, 7 pm, Mon, Apr 8

This meeting between the City and the Port will include discussion about the Port’s recent public planning process for the Depot/North Marina area. The meeting is billed as a “study session.” ASBC members are encouraged to attend to show support for small boat facilities in the area and to provide input if necessary—especially concerning our desire for a small-boat facility in the Rotary Park area.

f) Trailerable Power Boats and ASBC

There was some discussion about including trailerable power boats in ASBC and working towards a suitable place for a ramp for putting such boats in the water, somewhere with adequate parking for the trucks and trailers. 85% of such boats are on trailers and there are not good facilities for getting them  into the water. Thus far, ASBC has not represented this community. Should ASBC expand its membership to include them?

Bill Short will check to see where the Port stands on the possibility of a ramp. Dustin South will get feedback from the manager of the boat ramp at Washington Park about the ramp use there. ASBC members will talk to people in that community. ASBC will discuss this issues at the next meeting when we have more information and consider how best to proceed.

V New Business

a) Quick and Dirty Boat Building at Waterfront Festival, June 1

Pat Barrett needs some volunteers to help set up the tents the night before, during the day, and for tear-down on Sunday. OARS will help with set-up. The High School wrestling team will help again. Vince Sellen will talk to Fred Abelman about providing a rescue boat. Michele and John Pope and Andy Stewart all offered assistance.

b) OARSS

OARSS is still looking for dry heated space to work on their boats. Right now the plan is to use space under the Preston. ASBC doesn’t have any alternate space to offer at this time, but encourages OARSS to attend meetings and be part of the discussion as to how ASBC can help meet member needs.

There was some discussion about instituting a fee for member organizations (right now donations are voluntary and in the amount the organization wishes to contribute). Also, it would be great if member organizations encouraged their members to become members of ASBC as AYC is doing so successfully right now.

There was also discussion about how ASBC wishes to move forward with securing covered, heated space for small-boat-related activities.

VI Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m. Moved, Vince Sellen; 2nd, Mark Bunzell. All in favor.

The next general meeting will be Monday, May 6, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

 

Minutes of General Meeting, Mar 4, 2013

 

Anacortes Small Boat Center General Membership Meeting, Anacortes Yacht Club, Monday, March 4, 2013, 6:30 pm

 

Board and individual members present: Pat Barrett (president), John Pope (past president), Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), Marianne Banks (Hole in the Wall Kayak Club), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts, Ship), Beth Bell (OARRS), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Don Pinter, Chris Anderson

Guests present: Keith Rubin

Board members absent: Andy Stewart (vice-president), Greg Denman (ACMC), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio), Jack Richardson (Anacortes RC Sailors, ex-officio), Vince Sellen (AYC), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81)

 

 

Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 6:45 pm by President Pat Barrett

 

Approval of minutes: Minutes of the February meeting were approved. Dale Fowler, Beth Bell, second, all in favor.

 

Treasurer’s Report: We have $23,482.90 in the bank. Norm will proposed a file for the boat storage yard on the web site: confidential information will be password-protected; the map showing which slots are taken and for how long will be for all to see. Beth Bell has an Excel file with a map, which she will get to Norm. ASBC will look into using a Paypal Button for yard and membership payments. Norm will talk to Art Shotwell and get an estimate of cost of these web site changes.

 

Gin Pole: Keith Rubin is working on the installation of the replacement gin pole provided by North Harbor Diesel. Brooks Marine assisted with some welding. Keith will look into using a sleeve for the pole. The Port has a forklift available. Beth Bell will donate thin set. Norm Haverstock will put together a form people can use for tax receipts for in-kind, cash, or material donations. The gin pole should be up by the end of March.

 

New Tenants: One spot in the yard is being held for a 27’ boat. Larger boats are coming back to the yard now the hoist is in operation (or soon will be after some minor attention).

 

Dinghy Docks: ASBC will sign a lease with the Port and begin monthly payments on April 1 so ASBC has time to advertise this space to the public. The Port will share the dock waiting list with ASBC. AYC is leasing the outboard 100’ of the dock and reserving it for AYC members with small mast-up boats.

 

ASBC Members from AYC: AYC has sent the list of names and payment to the P.O. Box.

 

Slate of Officers: Will be dealt with in the next couple of weeks.

 

New Business

 

North Harbor Development: During its recent review of plans to develop land around Cap Sante Marina, the Port welcomed input from the public, including ideas for an area dedicated to small boats in the North Basin. A steep ramp around K dock might work well as an alternative to the hoist for small boats. If a Marine Service Building goes in, ASBC might share some space there. It was agreed ASBC should clear and stake out the area currently earmarked in the City’s Comprehensive Plan for an ASBC facility, and it would be good to do this in the next three months. A committee was formed (Mark Bunzel, Beth Bell, John Pope from ASBC; a couple of other experts will be invited to join) to liaise with the City and check out what kind of building is feasible and what input ASBC group members might like. Mark will organize a field trip in the next couple of weeks to gather ideas. There is a joint meeting between the City and the Port on April 8. We might get help from Port grant writers.

 

High School Sailing Regatta: Dustin South reported the high school sailing team will be hosting a regatta from Seafarers on March 23. This is the first big regatta in about six years. About 80 students will attend. It’s a great opportunity to show off the South Harbor facility. Fred Abelman is organizing on-water activities. To help on land, contact Dustin at 299-1948 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [check]

 

Meeting adjourned by President Pat Barrett at 7:40 pm

 

Respectfully submitted pjb

 

Minutes of General Meeting, Feb 4, 2013

Minutes of General Meeting, February 4, 2013

Minutes of the Anacortes Small Boat Center Meeting, February 4, 2013

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual members present: Andy Stewart (vice-president); Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes); Don Pinter; Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio); Andy Schwenk (AYC); Steve Orsini (Lido Fleet 78); Scott Lindberg; Gary Stubbs

Board Members not present: Pat Barrett (past president); Norm Havercroft (treasurer); Jane Billinghurst; John Pope (past president); Beth Bell (OARSS); Mike Beemer (SVC Marine Tech Center, ex-officio); Carl Frantz (Sea Scouts, Ship); David Jackson (Sea Scouts, Crew); Greg Denman (ACMC); Dustin South (Parks & Rec)

I. Call to Order

  President Andy Stewart called the meeting to order at 6:38pm

II. Minutes of January Meeting.

  The minutes of the January meeting were not available for approval.

III. Treasurers Report

  The Treasurers Report was unavailable for discussion and approval.

IV. Old Business

  Mark Bunzel started the discussion stating he and Pat Barrett were in the process of preparing a limited slide show to present to the Port Commissioners at one of their board meetings high lighting ASBC past to present. They would discuss the past year’s lift problems and the financial impact it had on our income. They would request a one year extension on our current rent agreement to compensate for the loss of revenues. They felt our first year was successful and are optimistic that this year should be good with a fully operational lift and an increase in rents from the dingy docks.

The discussion moved on to the possibility of a boat ramp in or around the marina.  One of the problems experienced in the past was the launching of boats for events like the Lido tournament and fishing derby. Many boaters have expressed their preference of trailer launching their boats over slinging them in. Ideally it was agreed that the preferred location would be on the east side of the north basin. Others ideas put forth were a ramp off of 17th Street or one further down on the DNR property. There were comments made about trying to obtain use of the city’s ramp off of 30th or the new ramp off of R Ave... The pros and cons were discussed and Steve Orsini suggested we concentrate on first obtaining a boathouse and then a non-motorized ramp by the marina. Someone mentioned the possible availability of government funds available for such improvements referencing Friday Harbor as an example.

Regarding the boathouse, it was recommended that a group go up and look at the boathouse in Ladysmith. Realizing the limited income flow from a stand-a-lone boathouse, it was suggested having a burger and beer facility within the building to provide refreshments to the boaters and general population. Apparently it has work well in Ladysmith and several attendees agreed to put together such an excursion.

It was mentioned that there would be an open planning meeting on Wednesday and that we should make our presence and desires known. Several members indicated their intent to attend.

V. Adjournment

  There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:09pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of General Meeting, Dec 3, 2012

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, December 3, 2012, Anacortes Yacht Club

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), John Pope (past president), Vince Sellen (AYC), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81), Beth Bell (OARSS), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Roxanne Parish, Don Pinter

Guests Present: Al Acosta, Paul Zacherl

Board Members Absent: Andy Stewart (vice-president), Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Marianne Majerus (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Greg Denman (ACMC), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio), Jack Richardson (Anacortes RC Sailors, ex-officio)

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by President Pat Barrett at 6:30 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes from November Meeting

Moved, Dale Fowler; 2nd, John Pope. All in favor.

III. Treasurer’s Report

We have about $23,350 in the bank.

IV Old Business

a) Gin Pole

We have parts and plans. Pat Barrett is waiting for Andy Schwenk to get back in town so we can move forward on this.

b) Dinghy Dock

Potential tenants include the City Parks & Rec program and the Hole in the Wall Kayak club. John Pope and Vince Sellen are investigating. ASBC needs to clarify dinghy dock rental arrangements with AYC, which is also renting a portion of the dock from the Port. The Port plans to dredge M, N, and O docks and around the boat hoist at P/Q dock but has no plans to dredge east of Q Dock. There is the possibility of dredging there in the long term (10-plus years) if the wooden breakwater is replaced (which might affect current patterns) and depending on the cost of permitting (a large portion of which is disposal of potentially contaminated material).

c) P/Q Dock Hoist

Concerns about cable length were investigated. The cable seems to be fine and the light placement also seems to be okay. There remains just one issue—the weight-limit cut-off switch was not weatherproof. As soon as it is replaced with a weatherproof switch, we will finally have a hoist that functions as expected. The Port will post a weight limit of 4000 lbs. Once all parties agree that the hoist is functioning as originally intended, new hoist rates will go into effect: $5 for a round trip or about 20-30 minutes of hoist time to launch and pull out. The Hoist Committee (Beth Bell, John Pope, Pat Barrett) will have a separate meeting with the Port to discuss just when the new rate will go into effect as the dry storage yard lost tenants when the hoist was out of commission for heavier boats and now needs to make up lost ground.

d) ASBC Report to the Port

ASBC would like to update the Port Commissioners on successes thus far. The yard model is working well despite a down economy and problems with the hoist; however, ASBC would like to negotiate an extension of start-up lease rates that reflects how hoist issues have affected income stream for the yard.

V New Business

a) January Port Meeting

ASBC will sit in on the Port update on its comprehensive plan for the north and west basin development.

b) Mule

The ASBC mule has some issues with tipping. John Pope has made alterations but feels it would be best to allow people to use it only after training. In the meantime, the Port’s mule is also available for use (although it has less power).

c) Port Security and Wi-fi

New security cameras and free public wi-fi are in place throughout Cap Sante marina thanks, in part, to a grant from Homeland Security.

d) ASBC Membership

2013 individual and family memberships are now due. AYC members can renew when they renew their AYC membership (thank you, AYC). Others can download the membership form from the ASBC web site and mail it in. There are no dues for supporting organizations at this time. ASBC encourages annual donations to help support the cause.

e) Marine Tech Center

Al Acosta and Paul Zacherl reported on the Marine Tech Boat Club, which has a 16-foot Swampscott dory. ASBC expressed an interest in having the Boat Club as a supporting member. Pat Barrett hoped the Tech Center would enter a team for ASBC’s fundraising Quick and Dirty Boat Building Competition at the 2013 Waterfront Festival. There was also some discussion of promoting ASBC on Pro Boat Radio.

f) Marketing

With the hoist almost ready, it seems a good time to start aggressively marketing ASBC. We will discuss this at the January 2013 meeting. We hope to have trifold brochures ready with our logo in time for the Seattle Boat Show, which starts January 25.

g) More Concrete

It would be helpful to add more concrete to the boat staging area by P/Q dock to discourage people from parking too close and to fill in the open triangle. ASBC has volunteers, forms, and rebar. How much of the work would the Port like to do and how much would the Port like ASBC to do?

VI Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

The next general meeting will be Monday, January 7, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

Minutes of General Meeting, Nov 5, 2012

Minutes of General Meeting, November 5, 2012

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, November 5, 2012

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmall boatcenter.com                                                 

Board and Individual Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Andy Stewart (vice-president), John Pope (past president), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Bill Short (Port Commissioner), Mac Madenwald (AYC), Vince Sellen (AYC), Roxanne Parish (OARSS), Dustin South (City of Anacortes), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts), Don Pinter (Anacortes Sea Scouts), Torgy Torgersen.

Board Members Absent: Jane Billinghurst (secretary), Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Tech Center, ex-officio), Andy Schwenk (NW Rigging & AYC), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Greg Denman (ACMA), Rem Smith (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club).

 

I.                    Call to Order

President Pat Barrett called the meeting to order at 6:31 p.m.

 

II.                   Approval of Minutes from September Meeting

Moved and 2nd. All in favor

 

III.                Treasurer’s Report

Current balance $23,500+/-; Net Profit YTD $6,077; Yard Income LTD $4,587

 

IV.                Old Business

a)      Gin Pole

-Ed Kennedy submitted invoices for $500 (his engineering) and $127 (parts) and has been paid.

- Keith Rubin has the material to complete the pole and will install it. Upon completion it is felt several members should be able to fit it into the stand. If needed the Ports forklift should be available.

 

b)      Dingy Dock

-Costs so far on dock carpeting is $211 for our half, AYC pays the other half. John Pope feels there is another $100+/- worth of carpet remaining to be purchased.

-We have not yet completed our lease with the Port due to the remaining things needed to relocate the docks and make them available. The old fuel dock still needs to be moved and the others put in place.

-Possible dredging of north basin including around P and Q docks not in 2013 plans. If we feel it should be a priority for 2014 we need to make our desires known to the Port this year. Bill Short indicated the dredging will need to be sent to Kennewick due to their toxicity.

-John Pope suggested we get together with some kayakers to determine the best place to locate the kayak rack. Once decided we will need volunteers to attach the rack to the dock.

-Cleaning the docks was again brought up. It was felt that if we wanted to clean them we would probably need to do it ourselves as the Port has limited personnel during the winter months. If we did so, care would have to be taken to avoid any damage to the docks or boats.

 

c)       Hoist

-Washington Crane has installed the new arm and motor but it doesn’t work, it goes up but will not go down. There is also concern about its lifting capacity. It is suppose to lift 3500# but the notice on the arm show only 3000#. In reality, the lift is supposed to be engineered for 4000# with a lift trip set at 3500#. Jenkins with the Port will follow that the crane will pass for 4000# and 3500# corrected on the arm.

 

d)      Checking Account

-The new signers have been changed on our account.

 

V.                  New Business          

a)      Dingy Dock

-Dustin indicated that the City Parks will be using the docks during the expansion schedules to be completed in April.

 

b)      Hoist

-Roxanne, the new President of OARSS, indicated they would be moving a boat into the yard as soon as the lift is available to get it out of the water.

 

c)       Storage Yard

-Bill Short inquired as to any possible need to expand the yard in the near future. The response was not at this time.

 

d)      General discussion

-John Pope indicated the yard is down from its recent capacity due to lift problems all summer long. He indicated we could use 5 more larger boats which provide better income than do the smaller craft. Due to the lift problems and the corresponding loss of revenue, it was suggested that we meet with the Port and request an extension of our rent discount. It was felt that for every day the lift was down we should ask for a day of extension. Mark Bunzel will see about setting up a meeting with the Port.

-Mark suggested we prepare a two-part presentation for the Port meeting, a “this is how far we’ve come” and “this is where we’d like to go”. John Pope agreed to form a committee for the how far we’ve come and Mark agreed to head a committee on where we’d like to go. Plans as to the future would include a boathouse, ramp, dredging, in-put into the future design of the north harbor as well as other considerations. It was felt that the sooner we started working with the Port and the longer we worked with them the more we could accomplish.

 

VI.                Adjournment           

        A motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 7:32 pm.

 

The next general meeting will be on Monday, December 3rd at 6:30 pm at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

Minutes of General Meeting, October 1, 2012

Minutes of General Meeting, October 1, 2012

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, October 1, 2012

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats. www.anacortessmall boatcenter.com

                                                   

Board and Individual Members Present: Andy Stewart (vice-president), John Pope (past president), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Greg Denman (ACMA), Vince Sellen (AYC), Andy Schwenk (NW Rigging & AYC), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts), Don Pinter (Anacortes Sea Scouts), Keith Rubin (Port Commissioner), Michele Pope, Beth Bell (OARSS).

 

Board Members Absent: Pat Barrett (president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Tech Center, ex-officio), Rem Smith (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78).

 

I.                    Call to Order

Vice-president Andy Stewart called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.

 

II.                  Approval of Minutes from September Meeting

Moved and 2nd.  All in favor

 

III.                Treasurer’s Report

Not available

 

IV.                Old Business

a)      Storage Lot

-Currently the lot is at its highest occupancy. There is concern that some heavier boats will be leaving due to the reduced lift capacity of the hoist, now at 1 ton.

-Income is currently running ahead of plan which is good considering the problems with the lift and absence of a gin pole for rigging.

-Prospects remain good with the pending additional income from the dingy dock.

-A greater effort should be made to keep the Port Commissioners current as to our progress.

 

b)      Hoist

Dale indicated that the hoist should be completed by the end of the month. The new 2 ton boom is at Washington Crane waiting to be completed.

 

c)       Gin Pole

-Ed Kennedy has completed his testing and has certified the pole.  Keith Rubin will work with Dale to erect the pole with the crane used by the Port to install their security towers.  Once inserted into the stand, the stand will be filled with grout. The whole unit will be able to be relocated if necessary.

-We are awaiting the bill from Ed Kennedy for his services and costs. We have approved up to $500 supported by invoices. Vince Sellen will contact Ed.

 

d)      Dingy Dock

-John Pope indicated that the Lido portion of the dock has been completed with new carpet and 15 cradles. The remaining section needs the bull rails worked on and more carpeting.  The cost of said carpeting was $211. A motion was made and approved for that amount.

-The club will work with the AYC on filling the remaining slips and whose they are.

- Volunteers will be needed to help install the kayak rack.

-There was a brief discussion regarding the possible need to angle the slips to avoid excessive overhang.

-It was mentioned that AYC might be considering renting out some of their slips to the public in competition with us.

-Once the old fuel dock is moved out, the long dock will be moved down with the smaller dock tucked in.

-Port to rent the dingy docks at $1/foot plus leasehold tax on a month by month basis.

 

V.                  New Business          

 

a)      Checking Account

A motion was made and approved to remove Pat Barrett from the checking account and put on Andy Stewart. Norm Havercroft remains the second signer on the account.

 

b)      General Discussion

A brief discussion about further cleaning of the docks and possible dredging of the basin, especially on the north end, followed. Upland use was also brought up. The costs of such improvements ruled out any action for the time being.

 

VI.                Adjournment           

        A motion was made and seconded to adjourn. The time note noted.

 

The next general meeting will be on Monday, November 5th, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

 

 

 

Minutes of General Meeting, Aug 6, 2012

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting
Monday, August 6, 2012, Anacortes Yacht Club

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual Members Present: Andy Stewart (vice-president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Vince Sellen (AYC), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), Beth Bell (OARSS), John Guinn, Don Pinter, Bill Short

Board Members Absent: Pat Barrett (president), Norm Havercroft (treasurer), John Pope (past president), Rembrand Smith (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Greg Denman (ACMC), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio)

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 6:35 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes from July Meeting

Moved, Dale Fowler; 2nd, Vince Sellen. All in favor.

III. Treasurer’s Report

We have about $22,761 in the bank.

IV Old Business

a) P/Q Hoist

Experience at the Lido Nationals suggests it would be good to have a system in place that prioritizes who can use the hoist.

There is no date for the new hoist. When there is a hoist in place that is operating in a satisfactory manner, rates for hoist use will rise from $5/day to $5 per timed use (about 20 min). ASBC members will get preferred hoist rates. Yard tenants will get a further discount. Yard tenants will each have their own key. ASBC members will go to the Port office to get a key for each use. ASBC members who use the hoist regularly can get a key of their own. Keys assigned to ASBC members and yard tenants will be billed for usage on a monthly basis.

b) Gin Pole

No progress to report. Beth will call Ed Kennedy and John Pope to see what can be done to move this forward.

c) Dry Storage Yard

Billings are going out, although there are some details that need to be sorted out. John Guinn will check to see if OARSS payments are up to date.

d) Dingy Docks

There is no date set for returning the docks from Seafarers Park. When the docks come back, ASBC can get to work installing the lockable kayak rack.

e) Web Site

Some light housekeeping work this past month to update the site and make it more user friendly.

f) Outreach to ASBC Subgroups

We will work on this after the summer is over.

V New Business

None

VI Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 6:50 p.m.

The next general meeting will be Monday, September 10, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club (the first Monday of September is Labor Day). Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

The Lido 14 National Championships are coming to Anacortes!

Crews from along the West Coast will compete in the 55th Annual Lido 14 Class Championship Regatta July 23 to 27. Catch qualifying and junior races on Monday and Tuesday, medal flights on Wednesday and Thursday, and the women’s championship on Friday. All races start around 2:00 p.m.

Crews from along the West Coast will compete in the 55th Annual Lido 14 Class Championship Regatta July 23 to 27. Catch qualifying and junior races on Monday and Tuesday, medal flights on Wednesday and Thursday, and the women’s championship on Friday. All races start around 2:00 p.m.

Fourteen feet long and 6 feet wide, Lido 14s can accommodate two adults and two children for family day sailing. More West Coast sailors have learned to sail on Lido 14s than any other dinghy. Lido alumni include Larry Elison, the current holder of the America’s Cup.

Anacortes offers Lido racers good winds, great launch facilities, and a beautiful, fun town to explore. Come down to Seafarer’s, give out-of-town competitors a warm Anacortes welcome, and see just how well these small boats sail.

For more information, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Minutes of General Meeting, July 9, 2012

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, July 9, 2012, Anacortes Yacht Club

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Andy Stewart (vice-president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), John Pope (past president), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Vince Sellen (AYC), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Phyllis Bravinder, Bill Short

Board Members Absent: Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Rembrand Smith (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Greg Denman (ACMC), Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Beth Bell (OARSS), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio)

I. Call to Order

President Pat Barrett called the meeting to order at 6:40 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes from May Meeting

Moved, Vince Sellen; 2nd, Dale Fowler. All in favor.

III. Treasurer’s Report

We have about $22,000 in the bank. The amount is rising by about $1000 to $2000 per month thanks to dry storage yard rentals.

IV Old Business

a) Port/ESD

The suit is now settled and events are proceeding without incident.

b) P/Q Hoist

The beam for the new hoist failed the load test and it is now up to Washington Crane to fix the problem. In the meantime, the load limit on the hoist is 2000 lbs (1 ton). The ASBC Board will put together a letter to the Port about compensation for lack of access for the larger boats in the dry storage yard. The Port is offering mast-down launching at the marina for yard tenants until the hoist is fixed. ASBC will furnish the Port with a tenant list. President Pat Barrett will send a letter out to yard tenants explaining the situation. Other problems with the hoist include a light that is unnecessary and gets in the way, and the lack of an automatic safety shut-off switch.

c) Gin Pole

No progress to report.

d) Dry Storage Yard

When the sticker is on the new mule, we will photograph it and send a thank-you to the Swinomish for their generous donation. It’s quite peppy, so yard tenants are getting instruction on using it. Still working on the issue of tongue weight for the heavier boats.

ASBC is working on a sheet of instructions for hoist use, which it will update when the hoist is fully operational. In the meantime, yard tenants are trained on the hoist, and a local rigger can help with lifting bridles. The Port assists hoist users when it hands out its cards for the hoist. Emerald Marine has a bridle in the shed that they will label as theirs.

The yard is 60% full, including some transients (mainly for the Lido Nationals) and some regulars who are playing for their slots but are currently off touring. It’s hard to do more outreach until the hoist issue has been settled. Yard billing is pretty much up-to-date. The key is currently in a lock box outside the yard, but it will be moved inside.

e) Marine Advisory Board

No report for this meeting.

f) Dingy Docks

The donated carpeting is now on. Thanks to Bill Bowman and Fred Abelman for a great job adding the Lido cradles. There will be another work party tomorrow (Tues). One 100-foot section of the dock will be floated out to Seafarers this Saturday (July 14) for the Lido Nationals, which start July 23. The dingy dock will tie on the shore side of the low dock at Seafarers. It’s a bit higher and 20 feet longer than the Seafarers dock.

g) Web Site

The new Strategy Statement is up, along with our latest membership form. Jane will add a link to AYC’s Pirate Camp and rename the “Blog” tab to “Meeting Minutes & More” so it’s easier for people to locate information. She will also check with Art to see if we have a system to check traffic to the site.

f) Outreach to ASBC Subgroups

We have had a recent update from the Marine Tech Center, a meeting with representatives from OARSS, and correspondence with Hole-in-the-Wall Paddling Club about getting a new rep in the fall. Perhaps in the fall, we can invite one subgroup a month to present at our general meetings about what they are doing for small-boating in the community and how ASBC can best support their efforts.

V New Business

a) City Parks & Rec Youth Sailing Program

Dustin South is working with Steve Orsini to make sure the youth sailing classes and the Lido Nationals can both happen at overlapping times at Seafarers. The City and the Port have reached an agreement about storage space at Seafarers. In addition to the kids’ sailing program, the City is offering an adult program Aug 11/12. Adults can register online.

VI Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:25 p.m.

The next general meeting will be Monday, August 6, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

An Amazing Community

This piece from ASBC president Pat Barrett was published in the Anacortes American, Wednesday, May 30, 12

An Amazing Community

This is a thank you to an amazing community of visionaries and stewards. I was fortunate to grow up in a beautiful Montana mountain community, but many years ago I decided Anacortes was a great place to settle. On the surface, it was because it's small town surrounded by water, lots of boats and an amazing community forest. But that's not really what Anacortes is or represents. After a time, one realizes that it is the people with an amazing drive to not to just keep us a fine community but an insatiable drive to make it better.

What a blessing we have been given. It is quite amazing how much is done in our small community by the thousands of individual volunteers and scores of community organizations who live in and love Anacortes. Each year brings to me more of an understanding of what a jewel we have. Each year it seems the jewel gets brighter.

From the busker who can leave his guitar and open case full of change at the bench in front of our post office to take a break and not fear of theft, to the Kiwanis and Soroptimist shops raising funds for so many causes, to Rotary and the hundreds of boats they help little ones build each year at the Waterfront Festival, to the amazing support of the Boys and Girls Club... The list goes on and this newspaper doesn't have enough room to touch the surface.

This is a thank you to all who have had a vision for small boat access onto the waters of our front yard, Fidalgo Bay. As a community we love and protect our public spaces. The creation of the Anacortes Small Boat Center organization and the recent environmental cleanup and improvement of Seafarer's Park and neighboring properties, are just examples of what we can do as a community when we focus on our common goals and interests. When we understand we can't have it all but if we all work together, much good can be done and we'll protect and improve our public spaces.

It's been generations of work by this community that's brought what is becoming easy access to the waters of Fidalgo Bay for dingy sailors, kayakers and rowers. For the water rat with a limited boater budget, Fidalgo Bay is now accessible.

A few weeks ago this community came together to encourage the leadership of the NW Educational Service District 189 and the Port to keep the legal beagles at bay and come to terms on a tentative agreement to allow Seafarer's Park to expand its use for the small boat community and the people of this island in general.

Thank you to our public leaders for listening. And to the hundreds who weighed in on this subject and attended the public meetings, thank you! Hopefully the attorneys will finish their jobs soon (it is after all, only a tentative agreement until the legal guys are through) and Seafarer's Park will be able to be used with zeal by our small boat community.

The members and supporters of the Anacortes Small Boat Center see this park as a vision come true for the water access we have strived and worked towards for generations. This park and its building were established with WA State Outdoor Recreation grant funding and donations to provide boating access and use. We cannot forget that goal.

We at ASBC will continue to help the Port stay focused on the original vision for Seafarer's Park and it's facilities ... small boat access to Fidalgo Bay for all. All of us in this community are called to be stewards of our public spaces and way of life. Those that have responded to this calling are many. Our public spaces we've worked so hard to protect and improve should be for all to enjoy and I believe we are continuing on that path.

Come join us on the water this weekend during the Waterfront Festival and Paddle Fest. See just a tiny bit of what this community has to offer. Then get out on Fidalgo Bay and have fun. Thank you. I love this town!

Patrick Barrett
President - Anacortes Small Boat Center
11987 Marine Dr.
Anacortes
360-770-4879

Join Us

The ASBC Meets the 1st Tuesday of the Month at 6:30pm – Location – Anacortes Yacht Club

Individual membership $25 per calendar year. Fill out the Membership Form and mail to:
     ASBC
     PO Box 2164
     Anacortes, WA 98221

Or pay by credit card or bank transfer with PayPal. You can use the "Donate" button below to pay your yard and dock fees.

Members may qualify for discounted access to the PQ Dock hoist (contact Yard Master Kevin Pratt at 208-661-0916).

Complimentary organizational membership is extended to organizations aligned with ASBC’s purpose who contribute to ASBC with board membership, volunteer time, and financial and other support.

All contributions help ASBC pursue its goal of enhanced public water access for small boats, including a permanent building for use by the small-boat community on Fidalgo Island.

Click here to find out more about the Fundraising for Anacortes Sailing Program